Monday, February 8, 2016

How do we decrease discrimination? “Public Minimum” vs “Private Maximum”

Last week I attended a study group at the Ibrahim Islamic Center in Houston and we discussed “private maximum” and “public minimum,” a concept introduced by Dr. Sherman Jackson for religious community.


The “Public Minimum” is the minimum it takes for someone to feel they are part of the community and “Private Maximum” is our own practice and principles.


The goal should be to have very few requirements to be part of a community and we should strive to be flexible/accommodating. People get excluded or feel isolated if we start implementing our own practice/standards, “private maximum,” on others. For example, if you show up to the mosque, church, temple or synagogue, then you should feel that you are part of the faith community no matter how “practicing” you are of the faith. Often, we put too many standards on others that we eventually isolate individuals.

On the surface this can be applied to everything in life. If we try to apply this in our daily lives, there would be less hatred and exclusion in society (disability, gender, race/color, religion).

The American Disability Act signed in1992 by President George H. W. Bush required wheelchair access to all public buildings, including restaurants, retail stores, hotels, and banks. It had a larger impact then most of us realize on increasing  “public minimum.” I have traveled around the world and specifically remember challenges we had trying to take my grandmother to a hotel or restaurant in Saudi or India. While living in Qatar, I had the opportunity to meet Ghanim and his mother. Ghanim’s mother realized the lack of wheelchair access in schools, malls and restaurants; hence she put lots of effort to increase access around the country. I definitely noticed the difference while living in Qatar!
Photo: Rick Guidotti, Positive Exposure

Our goal should be to make accommodations for those with “disabilities” and we should go beyond, make them feel accepted and part of community. I have been blessed with an amazing group of family and friends that always made me feel that I was part of the group. It has really impacted the way I approach things in life, optimistic and adaptable. There are lots of incidents that I could have easily been excluded, but I was not. I drove my own car in Saudi Arabia before most of my friends were driving and played sports, including my residency softball team with everyone double my height.

I have observed that parents with children who have challenges or individuals who are "different" often feel isolated or excluded from the community. The entire community/family/support system plays a role in embracing the family and child. This definitely plays a crucial role in maximizing potential for everyone. It also makes it easier for people to speak out about their challenges and obstacles. It will only lead to more acceptance and inclusion. Hopefully, less discrimination in all realms of life!

No comments: