Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Everyone has an Incredible Story, It is About Overcoming Challenges


We are all faced with challenges in life; some are more obvious and others are easier to overcome. A flat tire on the way to work can be a challenge, since you are going to be late for an important meeting or 8 am clinic. ~ Do you call a friend for help, leave the car and Uber to work, or change the tire since you have a spare in the back. These are simpler obstacles that we face on a daily basis and sometimes we can easily fix it.

I work with patients and families with challenges that may not be as easy to overcome. With time, everyone figures out a way to navigate through life.  However, it is not always the most optimal way. This may be due to limited economic resources, lack of family support, undiagnosed medical problem, or cultural and societal biases.  

I am a vertically challenged (3’7”) South Asian American third culture Hijabi Muslim female. I have been dealing with challenges every day since I was a toddler. This has helped me gain some insight on dealing with challenges. I have also had the opportunity to learn from others. Everyone has an incredible story and it always includes people that have impacted/supported him or her in life.

Over the next few months, I am going to start blogging again and address a few of the issues that I believe impact overcoming challenges and specifically your child’s potential. My angle is going to be from my personal experience as a South Asian American but I believe it is also true for others.   

I would like to end with one of my favorite verses/stories from the Quran that always gives me strength to overcome my challenge.

[Musa (Moses)] said: "O my Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-confidence, contentment, and boldness). And ease my task for me; And remove the impediment from my speech, so they may understand what I say.” [Surah Ta-Ha; 20:25-28] 

2 comments:

Rabia said...

Hey Nadi... Good luck to you for your blog...looking forward to reading! :*

Unknown said...

I think we often take our vantage point for granted as physicians and as Muslims, but people want to hear these stories. I look forward to reading your posts.