Thursday, March 3, 2016

Need a disguise on a 5 am run?!

Before leaving the house for a run at 5:00 am, I had a feeling someone would mistaken me for being a child. As I was waiting to cross the street, a car that was taking a left turn suddenly stopped, reversed, hit the brakes and the driver side window was slowly lowered. To her surprise, I was not a five year old running away. She apologized for frightening me and being anxious that I was a child. My response, smile and say "good morning!"



While attending a conference in Qatar this week, we discussed the importance of always being at your best behavior when interviewing to medical students. Not only during your formal interview but also in the hotel, airport, public transportation, etc. You do not know who you may be interacting with in the city and they may be able to play a role in you getting the job.  

I have lived in Doha for almost ten years of my life, hence I am not surprised that people remembered me. However, I had not been back for almost five years, hence I did not expect the waiter at Mandarin restaurant in Souq Waqif to ask if I had moved away or our dune bashing expedition land cruiser driver to ask me if I used to work at a particular place. 

I guess, I should always be at my best behavior, since I do not know who will remember me several years later. I'm probably a bit easier to remember compared to others. We should all try to "Be the same person privately, publicly and personally." As stated in Surah An-Nisa "They can hide (their deeds) from the people, but they cannot hide them from Allah, for He is with them even when they hold nightly counsels that are unpleasing to Allah. Allah encompasses all their doings." [4:108]


No comments: