Friday, September 16, 2016

“Look at some place unusual”

On a flight across the Pacific to a new continent and disconnected from the world for 16+ hours, decided it is time that I write a blog post after six months.

I must say, Qantas has an impressive collection of movies and I was lucky to get three seats to myself, so it almost felt like I’m traveling on business class. With three pillows and blankets, I had a comfortable bed to sleep for 12/16 hours. It helps being only 3’7!” I definitely caught up on sleep after six weeks of inpatient service.

I am currently watching one of my favorite classic movies “The Sound of Music.” While watching the movie, I realized the last few months have definitely been quite an adventure.

As Maria sings, the words resonated with me: “What will these days be like, I wonder; what will my future be, I wonder?... It could be so exciting to be out in the world, to be free, my heart should be wildly rejoicing, oh what’s the matter with me. I have always longed for adventure, to do the things I’ve never dared, now here I am pacing adventure, then why am I so scared? … I am seeking the courage I lack. The courage to serve them with resilience, pace my mistakes without defiance, show them I’m worthy, and while I show them, I’ll show me. So let them bring on all their problems, I’ll do better than my best, I have confidence they will put me to the test…somehow I will impress them…I will be firm but kind… They will have to agree, I have confidence in meI have confidence in sunshine, I have confidence in rain, I have confidence that spring will come again, besides what you see, I have confidence in me… I have confidence in confidence alone. Besides in what you see, I have confidence indeed.”

This year has been full of new challenges and adventures. Over the last six months, I have been training for my third half marathon in Houston summer heat with a goal running pace to transitioning from my first fellowship in genetics to pediatric endocrinology fellowship and traveling to new parts of the world.

Challenge. Courage. Confidence.
I have definitely seen lots of examples of this over the last three weeks on inpatient diabetes service as I admitted several new-onset type 1 diabetics, ranging from toddlers to teenagers. Overnight, parents and children need to understand diabetes and importance of treatment with insulin shots. They have to get the courage to check blood sugars several times a day and administer shots to their child or self. After about 48 to 72 hours, it is amazing to see how the parents/children develop the courage and confidence that they can care for diabetes and they are ready for challenges ahead.

It really makes you realize, we are all capable of doing great things even if faced with sudden or unanticipated challenges. We just need to develop the courage and confidence that we can maximize our potential even with challenges and adventures.


Since I am on my way to Australia to run the Sydney Running Festival with hopes that I can maintain a certain speed to avoid being disqualified, I’m going to end with the Australian phrase, “She’ll be apples!”

No comments: